Keeping your heart healthy
One in 20 adults has been diagnosed with heart disease and every 90 minutes a New Zealander dies from heart disease.*
Heart related diseases are the second most common cause of life and trauma insurance claims by Fidelity Life policyholders. In figures released for the year ending 30 June 2014, 13% of critical illness claims were heart related, while 16% of death and terminal illness claims were associated with heart conditions. In males, 22% of death claims were for heart issues.
Many heart related deaths are premature and preventable, and the choices you make every day can influence your risk of heart disease. While some risk factors like family history are uncontrollable, there are a number of lifestyle choices you can make to reduce your risk and stay heart healthy.
- Become smoke free – the single most important thing you can do for your heart health
- Move more and incorporate 30 minutes of moderate exercise into every day
- Make heart healthy eating and drinking choices
- Reach a healthy weight and maintain it
- Reduce stress
- Manage your blood pressure and cholesterol
- Manage your diabetes if you have it
If you have any questions or concerns about your heart health, please talk to your health professional.
* Source: Heart Foundation, www.heartfoundation.org.nz