Improving your brain health - with gardening
Reap health benefits and WIN a $100 Mitre 10 gift card
Once seen as something for retirement, the art of gardening is going through a bit of a revival! As well as being a sustainable source of fruits and veggies, gardening can also have some surprising health benefits.
People who take up gardening can benefit from stress relief, reduced risk of heart attack and stroke, and improved brain and mental health. In fact, researchers have found that daily gardening is the single biggest risk reduction for dementia, while "horticultural therapy" is showing proven results for patients with depression. Not to mention the fact that 30 minutes of gardening a day is a great way of getting in some moderate-intensity exercise! [Source]
So what should budding gardeners be thinking about for autumn?
Mitre 10 Garden Club has plenty of inspiration. Dave Elliot, Mitre 10 General Manager Marketing, says:
“As we move from one season to the next, it’s all about harvesting the last of the summer crops and preparing for autumn and winter. The next couple of months will be all about change.”
Here are some of the Mitre 10 Garden Club’s top tips for autumn planting:
- Plant now for a display of spring flowered bulbs, such as daffodils, crocuses and snowdrops. March is the best month for selecting and planting spring bulbs.
- Start planting your vegetable garden for harvesting in the winter. Veggies to plant now include carrots, parsnips, radishes and silver beet.
- Continue to harvest late fruiting crops.
- For colour during the winter months, sow seeds of winter annuals such as pansies and primulas.
- March is the best time for lawn maintenance and preparing to sow grass seed.
- Start planning your landscaping project – now is the time to plant trees and shrubs.
- Tidy up and cut back summer flowering perennials and shrubs.
The Mitre 10 Garden Club has lots more gardening advice, ideas and Club Prices. It's a great place for both green-fingered wizards and complete gardening newbies to learn and stay motivated.
Sign up at http://www.mitre10.co.nz/register/.
Plus, join the Mitre 10 Garden Club before 30/06/2016 with the Join Code ‘Fidelity Life’, and you’ll also go in to the draw to WIN a $100 Mitre 10 Gift Card!